Monday, August 18, 2008

Blessings

Today I'm grateful for...

*the Olympic spirit

*the summer intern program at the Sondheim Center... it was a great first summer with you all... I'm sad to see it end

*naps

*internet at home... especially Facebook... I thought it was just for the young 'uns, but I was wrong... I've reconnected with so many people

*my dog Avery, who loves me in spite of the fact that I forgot to buy dog food before the vet clinic closed yesterday so I fed him a bowl of "treats" for his meal... maybe I'm not ready to be a mom... then again, it's not like Hy-Vee would ever close on Saturday at noon and not open up again until Monday morning... hmmm...

*my dear friends... you keep me sane and out of the loony bin when the loneliness starts to block out the sun

It's important for me to be grateful today, of all days.  13 years ago today (or 13 seconds... it feels the same), I lost my mom.  August 18 sucks.  But, I know I can find blessings if I set my mind to it.  I do feel that I'm lucky to have lived 23 years with a mom as special as mine.  Many people do not even get to have that.  Not long ago (as part of the de-cluttering frenzy, part 1), I found a letter that my friend Ricco wrote me after Mom died.  It was a beautiful tribute, full of memories.   One of my favorite parts said, "Most of all, I think I remember your doors never locked and your house always open to us.  Suzie was the best and I think you realize how much of a surrogate mother and friend she was to all of us."  She would have loved that.  I guess that's the biggest blessing of all today.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't really know your mom, but the few times I remember seeing her at the shows she seemed like a cool person. Must be where you get it.

    Hope your day goes well. I'll post something later today that'll make you laugh....promise.

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're in my thoughts and prayers today, dear girl.

    You are the "sum" of all the WONDERFUL people in your life...your mom, your grandma, and everyone else who helped you to become the AMAZING person that we all know and LOVE!!!

    Let's talk SOON!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...