Friday, September 12, 2008

Weekly Update

A recap of this week:

On Monday evening, we had our first Delta Kappa Gamma meeting of the year. The best part was that it was my first meeting in four years where I wasn't an officer. It was nice to just go and enjoy it. I got so much out of serving as an officer for four years, but I'm also happy that my term is over. Our first meeting of the year is always at Jefferson County Park. It was pouring down rain, so we met in the Nature Center, and my friends Gay and Therese made a Dutch Oven dinner for us all. My Grandpa Sutherlin would have been jealous! These ladies have taken campout cooking to a whole other level. We had barbecue ribs, corn on the cob, cheesy vegetables, almond rice, chocolate cherry surprise cake, pumpkin crunch cake, and pineapple upside down cake. All cooked over the coals. It was delicious. Oh, we had a meeting too, but the food is the important part, right? ;)

Tuesday evening was the first Drama Club meeting of the year. I had a good starter group of 24 kids. That will pick up once word spreads around, especially with the new 6th graders. We played games, and I think they had fun. After Drama Club, I headed to my Aunt Jean's visitation. All the flowers were beautiful, and it was nice seeing my family that I don't get to see very often. She will be missed. I've been thinking of my Uncle Robert this week so much. They had been together most of my life, after both of their first spouses had passed away. I know he's going to miss her so much.

On Wednesday this week, I had a sub in the morning so I could go to the funeral. I sang, and my cousin Christopher played the organ. It was a beautiful service, and it was especially touching to hear Jean's sons speak about their mother. It made me realize that I only knew this little part of her. I liked finding out more. I had a mentoring meeting after school Wednesday, and then we had choir Wednesday night. We're getting ready for our church's big birthday celebration at the end of September. After choir, Pastor Suzy and I had a long talk. It was good to let her know some of the things I've been struggling with in church. I'd say she and I have very different views on church/religion/God, but she was very open to listening to me.

Thursday night, I received Darshan from Mother Meera. It was a very interesting experience. I was about the only townie there, that's for sure. My friend Rodney had talked a lot about Mother Meera, so I was glad to have the experience for myself. I just love trying new things, and it's good for me to go outside my comfort zone. I saw many friends there, and the whole atmosphere of the evening was open and loving. Here's the way I see it... who doesn't need more blessing? Does anyone really ever have enough? I'll give all I can give, and I'll take all I can get!

Tonight after school is our first book club meeting. I'm excited because we always pick all the books for the year at the meeting. Tonight we're discussing The Samurai's Garden by Gail Tsukiyama. We always meet at Revelations, have a coffee, and have good discussion. I really look forward to it every month. After that, I have to get home and get the Skewered Thai Cy ready for tailgating in the morning. It's going to be a miserable, rainy day, but... if we can beat those Cyclones, it will all be worth it. Go Hawks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...