Thursday, September 4, 2008

Too Good to Resist

This clip was sent to me on Facebook today.  Very entertaining.  



Also, I think John McCain is a heck of a guy... a true hero... an inspiration.  I think Sarah Palin is spunky and dynamic.  However, where my pro-choice philosophies (basically, that if you don't have a uterus, how can you have an opinion?) were leaving me balancing on the fence, McCain's comments on education tonight put me over the edge.  I just don't think I can vote for him.  And in a way, I wanted to.  I gave him every possible chance leading up to tonight.  I just really believe in public education.  Our country was built on the foundation of public education.  I just don't understand how vouchers are going to help the schools that are struggling.  I also worry for schools like mine, schools that consistently score better than the majority of the country.  How long can we keep that up?  The rest of the pack is gaining quickly.  The final goal is not attainable.  And we're becoming so test driven.  Everything is about the stinking test.  We're becoming Texas in that way.  Ugh.  With tests, I'm sorry... how do you convince every adolescent kid that the test is important?  In our team meetings, we're brainstorming how we can dog and pony show the kids into getting pumped up for Iowa Tests of Basic Skills.  Go Team!  Can't you just picture the eye rolls?  OK.  I'll step off my soap box and take a breath.  

Back to the election... I'm not 100% decided, but I'm close.  I have to say though, this is the first time I've been able to watch every night of the Republican National Convention.  Usually, I can only make it a couple of nights.  I lasted the whole time this year.  That tells me something... either they're different, or I am.  Hmmm... that's one to ponder.

And a total side note... I freaking loved those big white balloons with the stars.  The Republicans definitely won the balloon battle.

1 comment:

  1. First step in the education battle, repeal the No Child Left Behind Act and consult with some actual teachers on what would work best to improve the quality of education in this country. Getting the parents involved is another key to the puzzle, but anymore I think it's a losing battle. Kind of like Iowa Football.

    I had to.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...