Friday, September 19, 2008

TGIF

What makes some weeks seem longer than others? This one has seemed especially long for some reason. Maybe it's because today is midterm (which I can't believe... where did September go?), and the kids are all panicking about getting work in. Oh well, it's Friday now. That's all that matters.
Last night I went with Gay, Kevin, & Alicia out to eat and then to see Churchill, written and performed by Fairfield's own Andrew Edlin. I really had no idea what to expect, but I know Andrew is so talented, and I was excited to see what it was all about. It was a great night... I didn't expect to laugh so much or learn so much. I didn't know much about Winston Churchill at all, and Andrew's show was 2 hours of fascinating history, sharp wit, and surprising humor. It made me want to know more about the larger-than-life personality that was Winston Churchill. What a treat!

Tonight is another home Fairfield football game, so I'm headed there with Suzanne, Emma, and Jack. Jason is helping in the concession stand tonight. Our concession stand has these huge rice krispy treats with m & m's and a layer of chocolate frosting on top. Well, let's just say that thinking of one of those has helped me make it through today. Is that sad? Maybe. But, sad AND delicious! :)

Tomorrow I'm headed to Des Moines for the State Executive Committee meeting of Delta Kappa Gamma. I'm on the state committee for World Fellowship. I couldn't attend last year because of Grandma going in the hospital. It's so weird... it was exactly this weekend a year ago that she went in the hospital and really didn't come home again. It's also the weekend a year ago that Tracy had her bleeding scare after having Elora. That was a crazy, emotional weekend. I will be glad to not have a repeat of that one!

My meeting starts at 9:00 tomorrow morning, so I'll need to leave pretty early. It stinks because tomorrow is the big Kiwanis' Kids Day Celebration in Fairfield. I'll have to miss the parade, and I hate doing that. I like seeing my kids march in the band. The whole town is usually there, so it's fun. The only saving grace is that Gay is going to meet me bright and early at 6:00 a.m. so we can eat pancakes at the big tent they put up on the square. I've been eating pancakes on Kids Day for pretty much as long as I can remember. When I was little, I was in the parade a lot too. I walked as Holly Hobby one year, Matt and I were Rubik's Cubes one year, we decorated our bikes with crepe paper streamers and rode them several different years, and I actually won a ribbon one year. That was the year I walked as Hayden Fry, complete with white pants, mustache, shades, and black Hawkeye shirt and pants. Good times.

Sunday I'm ushering for the closing performance of Churchill, so I'll get to see it again, and I feel like I'm doing a little part to help the Fairfield Arts and Convention Center. Sunday evening, I'll be figuring midterms. I'm up to my eyeballs in papers today. Ugh... depressing thought. I've been basking in the calm before the storm with my 8th grade Writer's Workshop. They haven't had much to turn in since they're early in the writing process. But, from now until the end of the quarter, it will be a different story.

This week has been so beautiful; I've ridden my bike to work every day. There are just the first signs of fall in the air, and I haven't had the air-conditioning on in what seems like weeks. I love this time of year! Have a good weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...