Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Time Traveler's Wife

I just found out that a movie version of The Time Traveler's Wife is in the works, with a scheduled release date of December, 2008.  I am obsessed with this book.  It's one I will pick up and reread from time to time, and I feel like I'm back with old friends.

It was a long road to get to this obsession, however.  Nancy is a woman who was in my aqua exercise class (when it existed) and who is a nurse at my doctor's office.  She reads a ton, and we frequently recommend books to each other.  She mentioned The Time Traveler's Wife, and it really didn't sound like something I'd like.  I am not into science fiction at all.  Then, when I saw it at Barnes and Noble one day, the cover did nothing for me.  Nothing at all.  Whatever.  I kept seeing it.  I kept not caring.

But one day, I picked it up.  I have no idea why.  The cover (despite having a terrible picture, in my opinion) had that great feel to it.  I wish I could explain this better, but it's not a slick finish, it's more of a matte finish, but it's still slick, and the book had a great weight in my hand.  I know this is completely weird, to judge a book by how it feels in your hand, but sometimes that does it for me.  Yes, I'm an odd duck.  I decided to give it a chance.  I couldn't put that thing down for the life of me.  Instead of being primarily about time travel, the book is a story about the timelessness of love.  It's complex, sometimes confusing, and beautiful.  As soon as I finished, I started it over and read it again.  It was all I could think about.  It consumed me, day and night.  I have read it at least 5 times since then, and I even suckered my poor book group into choosing it for one of their reads too (none of them loved it as much as me, but I try not to judge).  Anyway, I just love it.  Love, love, love it. 


So today, I see this group on Facebook for others who are obsessed with The Time Traveler's Wife.  I had to know more.  My friend, Internet Movie Database, had the info, of course.  Eric Bana is playing Henry, and Rachel McAdams is playing Claire.  I don't know how I feel about that.  I don't have anything against either of them.  I guess I'll just have to see the movie and judge for myself.  I can deal with Eric Bana, but I guess in my mind (though they're all too old), I imagined Kristin Scott Thomas or Juliette Binoche as Claire.  

I'm just so scared the movie is going to screw up my book!!!  Case in point... when I was in junior high, I was obsessed with V.C. Andrews books, especially Flowers in the Attic.  Now, that book really messed with my head.  I got all of the series in hardcover for Christmas presents over the years, and I was so excited when I found out they were going to make a movie of Flowers in the Attic.  Well, if you saw that movie, well... well... IT SUCKED!  Now, true, as an adult, I'm kind of horrified that I loved those books, but at the time, I was so disappointed.  The books were creepy, and I guess as long as that creepiness stays in a person's mind, it's OK.  Maybe they just weren't meant for film.
I'm worried though, because there are elements in The Time Traveler's Wife that, if they don't get them right in the movie, are going to repel the audience.  Claire meets Henry when she's a little girl, like the picture shows.  But, Henry has involuntarily time traveled back to that point, so he already knows and loves Claire as an adult.  Are you confused?  Good.  Imagine a whole book like that.  You don't want to read it either now, do you?  Trust me, just do it.  Have you ever loved someone and wished you knew what they were like as a kid?  Henry gets to know Claire as a kid.  He tutors her in French, he listens as she struggles with family issues, he sees her grow up... it's intriguing.  But there is potential for disaster there on film.  It worries me.  

I am excited to see the movie when it comes out.  It's such a great story... it has potential to be a great movie.  But... THEY BETTER NOT SCREW UP MY BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

1 comment:

  1. Right there with you....I could even see Rachel Weisz if they needed someone younger. Kristin Scott Thomas is too old, but Juliette Binoche -- YES, she's a favorite! I think Eric Bana will be good...he can pull off the intensity.

    I know that you are an obsessive AND I know that you love this book...I didn't know you loved it THIS much. It makes me reconsider that I know so much, yet so little about you. So, how many times have you watched/read Bridget Jone's Diary? See...I don't realize that it's NUMEROUS! I obsess...I'll like something by an author and read EVERYTHING they write! Sting's memoir Broken Music -- totally obsessed!!

    Ok -- love you! t

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...