Monday, March 3, 2008

Weekly Update

What a weekend! Charlotte's Web played on Thursday and Friday nights to packed houses both nights. The kids really pulled it together, and I was so proud of them. It's the magic of theatre because Thursday after school, I was sweating bullets and thinking there was no way they were ready to perform. But that night, everything came together, and the show was great. We had some excitement on Friday night during the show when one of my set crew boys grabbed me from the back of the house to tell me that someone was hurt. It turns out that my Templeton had basically impaled herself on the baling wire of one of the bales of straw. Head wounds are such bleeders, and the blood was running down her face and neck, and it was all over her hands. The puncture was small and she applied pressure while she was still in the scene, so the bleeding had pretty much stopped when I saw her. She was such a trooper. We got her cleaned up and bandaged, and she didn't miss a beat. She hit her next entrance and never broke character. She's such a little pro! It was especially neat seeing all 41 of my cast members strung across the front of the stage for bows. They filled the whole thing. The lamb's parents hosted the cast party on Friday night... almost 60 kids with crew. They played ping pong and foosball, played all kinds of instruments in the band rehearsal room, and played Rock Band on the big screen TV. As a Guitar Hero lover, I really enjoyed Rock Band. I took a turn, singing a little Bon Jovi "Dead or Alive." I really hope that doesn't end up on YouTube!

On Saturday, I took my 6th grade GOAL students to the Invent Iowa regional competition in Oskaloosa. It was a good learning experience for us all. I feel like I have a much better understanding of what they look for now. We took 10 inventions. 3 of those received honorable mention recognition, and 1 is going on to state. So, for my first time participating in the competition, I don't think 4 out of 10 is bad at all. Plus, the kids had a ball on the bus. It doesn't take much to excite them, that's for sure. ;)

Tonight after school, we're striking the Charlotte's Web set, and with that act, I'll feel like I'm halfway to spring break. 7th graders have History Day on the 18th, and then 8th graders have Images of Greatness on the 20th. Whew!

FACT (Fairfield Area Community Theatre) met last night to have a pre-production meeting for our summer show, Annie. This will be the first FACT show to perform in the Fairfield Arts and Convention Center, so we're excited for that step up. No cows mooing in the background, like we had when we performed at the fairgrounds. No 100 degree heat, like we had several years at the high school. Do you know how hard it is to be in Titanic! the musical and pretend like you're freezing in the middle of an ocean of icebergs when you're in 100 degree heat, wrapped in a woolen blanket, and holding a squirming dog? UGH! I'm glad I won't ever have to go through that again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...