Friday, July 2, 2010

South Pacific... Sigh...

Yes, I love Spring Awakening. And yes, I love Rent. And yes, I love Sweeney Todd. I love some drums and a rock beat and an occasional murdered person baked up in a meat pie. I like modern musicals just fine. I love them, in fact. But... but... but... South Pacific. Oh, South Pacific... with an Emile that was born to sing "Some Enchanted Evening" and who makes you literally ache when he sings "This Nearly Was Mine." With a Nellie so strawberry shortcake sweet that if you knew her in real life, you might have to slap her, but when you see her fall in love, she takes you right back to the very first time you fell in love, when it was so all-consuming that you thought you might explode with how much you were feeling. With a Billis that can have an entire audience in the palm of his hand with a pair of coconuts and a funny face. With all those wonderful songs packed into one show. You forget just how many good songs there are in that show. Just when you think there can't be another one... well... there is. I do love me some South Pacific. If you're anywhere near Fairfield, Iowa, Saturday or Sunday, you must come see the Sondheim Center's production. It's divine. I feel all warm and fuzzy and full of love. Sigh. South Pacific... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...