Thursday, August 12, 2010

Tomorrow's the Big Day

Tonight I'm enjoying the last meager hours of summer. It's quiet and cool in my house, and I'm a little pensive, but not in a bad way. I'm reflecting and dreaming and planning in that endless cycle that happens at the start of every school year. I've started my lists, and my room is starting to look like a classroom again.

I vented through some frustrations with Suzanne at lunch today, and I think I'm ready to push them down the stream. I don't want them in my heart for tomorrow. Away with you, negativity and helplessness. I will start fresh and do what I can where I can.

I held Karla's month-old baby Alexandra today. She slept in my sweaty arms, and I gave her back WAY too soon because that kind of heat can't be good for such a little one. She fit in the crook of my arm like a perfect oval pumpkin. I'm so happy for them... she's so wanted and loved. I can't wait to hold her again. There's nothing like a new baby to make you feel good about the universe.

I'm looking forward to getting my laptop, and I'm already thinking of how it's going to change my practice for this year.

I'm looking forward to seeing my friends & colleagues... "teeps," as Suzanne calls them. My theatre friends will be leaving Fairfield in a week, and that makes me sad. But, it's time for my teeps and my kids. I'm looking forward to being with all of them.

I have taken some big bites this summer, in regards to the upcoming school year. I hope they're not more than I can chew. But, I also think it's better to bite big than to not bite at all. Not biting is not my style. ;)

I'm rereading The Hunger Games, and next, I'll reread Catching Fire. I have to be ready for the wonderful day that Mockingjay magically appears on my Kindle. I already have a student with dibs on one of the hard copies I ordered. She begged me in a restaurant this summer where we both happened to be having lunch... "Can I please be the first one to check out Mockingjay?" I can't resist a passion for books. Of course, I said YES.

I do have one thing to brag about. I'm pretty sure that in my entire teaching career, I have never started the year how I will be able to start this one. I do not have a single stash pile anywhere. No hidden piles to sort, no boxes of "stuff" I want to save, no messes in drawers or file cabinets. My desk is even cleaned out. All the crap is filed, sorted, organized, or tossed. My room is not ready for kids yet, but when it is, it will REALLY be ready... ready like I've wanted it to be every year. That's a good feeling (and a new feeling)!

So, tomorrow is the big day. Let the school year begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...