Sunday, January 27, 2013

Book of Mormon

Yesterday, I saw the touring show of The Book of Mormon in Des Moines.  It pushed the edge of the envelope in just about every way imaginable.  I laughed, I was touched, I was offended, I was giddy, I was grossed out, I was breathless, and I was very glad I saw it.

There was a lady two rows down from us who walked out.  To some extent, I can understand why.  The show is offensive in so many ways.  I can't even begin to count how many.  But... one thing I never understand (something similar happened when I saw Rent on Broadway) is if someone is going to spend that much money going to the theater, why don't they do a little research first?  Maybe they have a lot of money... so much money that an $80 ticket (or way more if you're actually in New York) for two hours on a Saturday night isn't a big deal.  Maybe they don't watch TV or read the paper, but The Des Moines Register has printed at least two different articles on the show and what people can expect.  I just don't get it.  Do your homework, people!

Anyway, here's the message I took away from the show:  When it comes to faith, we don't have to believe every single little thing we're told, without question, for our faith to be uplifting and to make a difference.  Our faith can change our lives and the lives of others.  Some of it might sound ridiculous or impossible, but to me, that doesn't matter.  Elder Price sings "I Believe" in the show before he has learned that lesson, but it's such a great number.  And, the little Sound of Music spoof at the beginning made me grin.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...