Saturday, January 5, 2013

2013

I only blogged 27 times in 2012.  That's a record, and not a good one.  I could easily analyze why.  I know it's because I've been dealing with a  lot of inner stuff this year.  I feel like I've been surviving.  It takes work to survive, but it's not always work you want to share with the world.  I've been sad.  I can usually keep it at bay, but reflecting and letting my guard down sometimes hurts too much when I'm sad... even if I'm just reflecting about nothing important.  I know I'm emotionally strained because I cry every time I do my centering prayer, every time I quiet myself enough to let the wall down for a little bit.  But this is a new year.  It's going to be better this year.  :)

I had a nice holiday.  I went to Altoona to do annual Christmas baking with the Kurths, Matt & Omara came down for several days, and it was nice to see them.  I got to see Tracy for a day.  My dad got a kidney stone, which was not good, but he's finally home from the hospital and resting comfortably.  He can't do anything half-assed.  The thing was the size of a pencil eraser!!!  Andrew is still recovering from knee replacement surgery.  He's working hard in therapy, and despite the facts that I'm a terrible nurse and he's a terribly impatient patient, we're hanging in there.  :)

Back to Tracy... this was my big Christmas present from Tracy: a pink cheetah bike helmet.  She wasn't sure I'd like it, and honestly, I wasn't sure either.  It's kind of a weird present to get.  But... after 4.2 seconds of looking at it, I fell in love.  I can't wait for spring to be able to use it!  Her rationale behind it was that I always say how ridiculous I look in my bike helmet.  It's just a silver bike helmet, but let's face it, bike helmets look RIDICULOUS.  She thought that if I'm going to look ridiculous, I should totally embrace it and REALLY look ridiculous!  I LOVE IT!

Here's my bike helmet story (the reason I always wear one even though I hate them so much):  One summer while teaching at the Wabash Arts Camp in Shenandoah, my class helper (my dearest Brenton) told me that he would have to miss class the next day because he had to pick his dad up from the hospital.  I told him that was fine, and I asked him about his dad.  It turns out his dad had been in the hospital for 4 months, recovering from a brain injury.  Brenton's dad had gone to pick up a bike they bought for Brenton's sister.  The bike wouldn't fit in the car, so Brenton's dad decided to ride it home.  The front wheel fell off, and his head hit the street curb.  This caused a brain injury that basically put Brenton's dad in a coma and left him in a state where he would need 24-hour care for the rest of his life.  After hearing this story, I was blown away.  When I could finally speak, I told Brenton that he had just saved my life.  I would never again ride my bike without wearing a helmet.  When I got home from camp, I went to Wal-Mart and bought my ridiculous silver bike helmet, and I never ride without it.  Never.  I think of Brenton's dad, and that makes me put that thing on my head every time, even though I hate it so much.  I didn't grow up wearing bike helmets.  No one my age did.  If you wore a helmet, you were a freak, and your parents were overprotective.  I don't think I'd ever even actually seen a bike helmet until I was in high school.  Anyway, things are different with me now.  Really different, considering the next time I strap on my bike helmet, it will be this awesome pink cheetah one.  If I'm going to look ridiculous, I'm going all out!

Happy 2013, everyone.  Let's make it a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...