Monday, April 6, 2009

Random Update

This weekend, Andrew and I watched the movie Network. How have I never seen this before? It was a great movie, though a little depressing. And, it's still shockingly relevant today, even though it's over 30 years old. I finally saw the Peter Finch line that's quoted so often, "I'm mad as Hell and I'm not going to take this any more!" I knew it came from this movie, but I had no idea what the context was. Very timely... maybe even more today than in the 70's.

Andrew and I went to watch his son Zach perform in the University of Iowa Music Department's presentation of Handel's Messiah. They did the Easter portion, and the singers included both the University Choir and the elite Kantorei Singers. It was amazing. The concert was in St. Mary's Catholic Church in Iowa City, and the acoustics were spectacular. Everyone was top quality, but the soprano soloist really blew me away. I could have listened to her all day! During the Hallelujah Chorus, we all stood... that's the tradition. But I don't think I've ever been to a concert where the audience wasn't invited to sing along during the Hallelujah Chorus. Maybe it's because they were recording; I don't know. It was so hard not to sing along though! I had to mouth the words. I couldn't help myself.

I'm reading two very different books right now. One is called The Pirate's Daughter and is a fictional story of Errol Flynn's love child in Jamaica. I like reading about places in the world that are new to me. I'm at a place in the book now that is really describing the history of Jamaica's independence, and in that sense, the book is historical fiction. It has a terrible cover though... it looks like a romance novel. I'm glad I chose it for my Delta Kappa Gamma book club based on description and review rather than cover. There is romance in it, but I definitely wouldn't classify it as a romance novel. The other book I'm reading right now is called Stiff. It's about the history of human cadavers. Interesting, shocking, sometimes humorous, sometimes disgusting, altogether engaging. And totally the opposite of the other book!

I'm starting two big projects with the GOAL kids. They're some of my favorite units of the year. The 7th graders are starting their computer animations. This is an extension of the module they get to do in Modular Technology (Industrial Arts, for you old people out there). In Mod Tech, they're supposed to make a 10-15 second movie. In GOAL, they make a 2 minute movie. I wrote a grant last year for the software, and it's a blast. I hope they enjoy it. The 8th graders are getting ready to make documentary films. This combines the Betts' Autonomous Learner model of individualized instruction with the art of film making. Last year is the first time I tried it, and I thought it went well. I'm working with our technology department to make it even better this year. I can't wait to see what the students are going to research. They have to include an interview in their documentaries, and that was life lesson time last year... arranging an interview, phone skills, interview skills, writing thank-you notes, etc.

Tonight is the first rehearsal for Children of Eden. I love starting new shows. I still don't know much about this show, but I'm excited to work with Dee Ann and Jeri again. We're going to have a ton of three-part harmony stuff in this show, and that will be challenging and fun. We will definitely miss Suzanne though. The four of us were the narrators when FACT did Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat several years ago. It won't be the same without her... darned family reunion on show weekend!

Speaking of Suzanne, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! You are officially older than me today. I can enjoy it for a month and a day!

Hope you're surviving your Monday out there!

2 comments:

  1. So....since this is a loooonnnngggg post, does that mean something else has tapered off? Hmm? Yeah... :-)

    Notice my lack of posting over the weekend? Yep. You got it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Ti! :)

    I'm trying to get back in the game a little on here... balance all the good in my life. I can bring the bacon AND fry it up in a pan!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...