Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Kettlebell Torture

On Mondays and Wednesdays, our principal's wife has been leading a crew of us teachers/gluttons for punishment in a strength training workout after school.  The main object of torture she uses is the dreaded kettlebell.  When I found out they came from Russia, it made sense.  Think KGB torture device, and you're probably close.  They're really not that bad.  In fact, they're good.  So good that I leave feeling like I want to crawl home, or better yet, just stay lying on the floor at school until the next morning and have my classes come to the weight room where I'll be teaching from the floor.  OK.  An exaggeration.  But they are TOUGH!  I've worked up to the 2nd kettlebell, which I'm proud of.  Each one is 8 kilos, which is over 16 pounds I think... I'm terrible at remembering conversions.  My current kettlebell is yellow (ours are different than the ones shown here), but our coach uses green.  Maybe I'll be brave enough to try a green for a tiny bit before the end of the year.  I have no idea how heavy they are, but since yellow is freaking heavy, I'm guessing green is massively painfully freaking heavy.  There are even bigger ones than those which I'm sure I couldn't even lift off the table!  I actually really like working out with my colleagues.  I'm the kind of person who needs a class type atmosphere.  If I have to do it all alone, I'll talk myself out of it every time.  All in all, it's a good thing.  Pain is good... right?

Here's a clip of the kettlebells in action... darned things.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...