Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Quarantine Diary, Entry #4

Today I had my first online class with students.  I didn't really have a plan because I wasn't sure the technology was even going to work.  I had blocked out 45 minutes, and we really only needed 30 for this first session.  I had 14 of 18 kids show up to the class.  6 had video and audio, 7 had just audio, and 1 only had chat access, but he was able to communicate with us.  It was just great to see their faces and hear their voices.

I'm starting with 45 minutes of "office hours" where kids can get immediate feedback from me if they e-mail or use Google Hangouts.  Then I'm going into 45 minutes of a Zoom-like program within Canvas, our district's online learning system.  Dee Ann and I tested it out last night before I went to bed, so I knew it had potential.  It was really slick today.  I did have two kids who couldn't get in for some reason, but I'll try to get that figured out for next time.  I'm meeting with a different group every day.

The kids looked good.  I think a lot of them are bored and are probably playing too many video games, but if I were that age, I'd probably be doing the same.  I did have some say they'd been cooking and helping their folks on the farm getting the equipment ready for planting.  Those are things that they would never have time to do during a regular school year.  I hope all the kids can find activities like that during this time away from school.

Yesterday afternoon, I had a Zoom happy hour with Tracy, Suzanne, and Jeff... all my bridesmaids/men!  We had a great time and laughed a lot.  It was just what the doctor ordered.  I stole this picture from Jeff to remember the occasion.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...