Friday, February 26, 2010

It's a Mystery!

Before any show of mine opens, I need to watch Shakespeare in Love. Before any and EVERY show of mine opens, I should remind myself of this scene:

HENSLOWE: Mr. Fennyman, let me explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster. Believe me, to be closed by the plague is a bagatelle in the ups and downs of owning a theatre.

FENNYMAN: So what do we do ?

HENSLOWE: Nothing. Strangely enough, it all turns out well.

FENNYMAN: How ?

HENSLOWE: I don't know. It's a mystery.

Last night, the wonderful mystery that is the theatre happened at 404 W. Fillmore. The production of The Secret School that had been plagued with 9 snow days, suspended students, stomach flu... (do I need to go on?), somehow came together. I've never, in all my years directing middle school shows, stood at the back with a script in my hand in case my cast got lost beyond all possible improvisational covering. I also, in all my years directing middle school shows, have never burst into tears with my cast at intermission because I was so amazed and proud and relieved. I go into tonight's performance with the world's weight off my shoulders. They're going to be OK. How? I don't know. It's a mystery.

1 comment:

  1. It was a very proud day for all concerned! And a mystery.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...