Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Help


I stayed up until 2:00 a.m. this morning because I HAD to finish my book. It's called The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Someone in my book club suggested this as a selection for this year. I'd seen it in the bookstores, and I have to be honest, I wasn't interested at all. The title made me think it was some kind of self-help book... something like The Secret, maybe (nothing against that book... I own it too). I could not have been more mistaken. This is a tale told by three different women in Jackson, Mississippi, in 1962. Two are black maids, and one is a young white woman. Their stories are knotted with connections. I laughed, I cried, I dreaded, I hoped, I anticipated, and I felt right along with the characters. I absolutely couldn't put it down. I'm so glad I read it, and I'll recommend it to others. Wow. The Help is something really special. Read it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...