Sunday, January 25, 2009

My Own Spring Awakening

I thought I was overwhelmed on Tuesday.  I had no idea what was in store for me this week.  I feel like something in me was dormant and is now alive.  New relationships do that to a person, I guess.  Every day this week has been a new blessing.  I feel like a teenager again.  Pretty ironic because yesterday in Des Moines, I went with Heather and Suzanne to see Spring Awakening.  Poor Heather and Suzanne were good sports throughout the day, having to endure stories of how wonderful my life is.  They developed a code... "ER."  That stands for EYE ROLL, and trust me, I got plenty of them yesterday.  But I know they're happy for me.  I'm happy for me too.  We had a great day, laughing, talking, singing at the tops of our lungs to different soundtracks... our "Defying Gravity" was especially incredible.  :)  Then we got to the show.  Wow.  It was so emotional, raw, intense, and beautiful. I haven't been that moved at the theatre since I saw Edges last year. Below are some clips from the tour cast, the exact people we saw. They were phenomenal. I loved the music already, but to actually see the show... well, I'm still having a hard time expressing it. It was amazing. I can't believe the 1st National Tour went through Des Moines.  It's also incredible how a play written in the 1890's can have relevant messages today... teenagers dealing with suicide, their budding sexuality, abuse, and those general heightened emotions that feel like they're going to bust out at any moment... I guess those emotions are why I could relate so well, especially this week!


I've often said that every artist has his/her own medium... clay or oils... mine's Broadway.  Click below and see why...







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...