Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Love First, Baby

I have not written publicly about Proposition 8.  Maybe out of cowardice, I don't know.  I have many dear, loved and loving family members who read this blog who are so conservative, with views so opposite of mine, that we choose to not discuss issues rather than to raise our blood pressures.  I try only to rile them up when I'm feeling especially passive aggressive.  HA.  But today, two things came across my path, and they couldn't sum up my own personal feelings more perfectly.  

The first is part of a blog that I have on my list on the right hand side of this page by Margaret and Helen.  You can click on it to the right if you feel like reading the whole thing, but this part really spoke to me.  

"If you want to protect Holy Wedlock, by all means padlock the door whenever guys who love Judy Garland come a knocking. But if you want to protect marriage push for a constitutional amendment to ban divorce.

But let’s step away from the church and state argument for a second. I posted yesterday that love is about the heart not the body. Trust me, if it was about the body a lot of us would be in a world of trouble. You can’t legislate love between two consenting adults. You just can’t no matter how hard you try. If you want to save marriage, marry someone you love."

My parents have 5 marriages between them.  Don't get me wrong... I'm very happy to be here writing this, and without their first marriage, I wouldn't be.  But think of how seriously people would take marriage if there were a constitutional amendment to ban divorce.  Hm.

The second thing was brought to my attention on Facebook by my friend (Facebook friend... I only WISH she could be my real life friend!!!), Broadway Diva Donna Lynne Champlin, who came to Fairfield last December for the Opening Gala of the Stephen Sondheim Center for the Performing Arts.  She had this clip linked to her status, and when I watched it, I knew I had to spread it too.


One of my speeches in The Lion in Winter includes this... "For the love of God, can't we love each other just a little?  That's how peace begins.  We have so much to love each other for.  We have so many possibilities, my children.  We can change the world."

To quote my friend Kris, "Love first."  

And to quote Forest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Gotta love Olbermann's passion on that. What an awful situation we are in - pitting love of God against love for each other.

    I don't know the answers, but I do know that we are hypocritical when, as Christians, we promote divisiveness and hate.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...