Sunday, August 23, 2009

Yep, I'm Procrastinating

OK. I'm at school, and I should be working on getting my classroom in order. Instead, I'm going to blog to cool myself down a little, metaphorically speaking. I spent about 6-7 hours on Friday hanging posters, meticulously rolling hundreds of loops of masking tape. It's not the most fun job, but it's fun to see the room come together. The first roll I used was from last year's supplies. I still had one left. I noticed it was pretty crappy. It kept sticking together, and sometimes it would stick in the center. So, instead of getting a 2 inch strip of tape, I'd have 2 thin, ripped 2 inch pieces of tape... not good for making tape rolls. I had a tape ball the size of my fist on the desk by the end of the roll. A big waste. Tape brand: School Smart (with the A in smart written in red like "A+"... annoying)

I opened a new roll from this year's school supplies. I had complained too soon. This roll definitely didn't stick to itself. In fact, it was nearly impossible to even make a tape ring because the tape absolutely would not stick to itself at all. Mysteriously, it would stick to the backs of my laminated posters, so I hoped for the best. Tape brand: School Smart, still with the annoying "A+." I'd give it a D at best. Evidently, they changed their formula when teachers griped about it being too sticky. Now it doesn't stick to much at all.

Now, I am not skimpy with my masking tape. I COVER the backs of the posters, because, well, I've learned the hard way. So, imagine my frustration when I come in today and HALF MY POSTERS ARE ON THE FREAKING FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!! Ugh. I whipped out my wad of blue ticky-tack stuff and put band-aid on the situation. But, there is no way I'm in any mood to retape every one of those posters. Not going to happen.

To further explain the feelings here, let me describe my weekend. Friday night was nice. Andrew and I had dinner at a local Fairfield establishment which will remain nameless (I do love this place, and I'm hoping the following was a one-time event). We had a very nice evening. My stomach was feeling a little weird, so I took a couple of Tums before I went to bed. *** graphic description alert... if you have a weak stomach, skip ahead *** At about 1:00 in the morning, I woke up to massive, gut-wrenching, gripping, burning stomach pain. No doubt about it, I was going to hurl. I made it to the bathroom and threw up about 5 times. Every single thing I'd eaten at supper came up and out. I puked so hard I had tears and snot streaming, and I (totally embarrassing) even wet my pants. I'm not ashamed to say it. That's how hard I retched. I prayed for death as I rested my head against the cool porcelain of the toilet bowl. I finally managed to stop throwing up and brushed my teeth and got a drink of water. I slept fitfully. When I woke up in the morning, I ached so badly, I felt like I'd been run over by a steamroller. It hurt to sit, to breathe, to think. I had to cancel my pedicure with Suzanne, which seriously ticked me off. I lay in bed pretty much all day and couldn't eat a thing except a little lime jello water at noon. By Saturday night, I did manage to keep down a little supper at Gay's, but I was not much for company. I slept on the couch after supper while Gay, Tom, Heather, Alicia, Kevin, & Andrew played cards. I should have been working in my classroom Saturday, but that's hard to do when you need to be horizontal.

Today, I feel like a new person. Much better. Andrew made me pancakes this morning, and they tasted delicious. Now I'm at school, trying to get a lot done. Let's just say that I didn't need the whole tape/poster fiasco on top of my pukester weekend.

On a good note, in my achy horizontalness, I did finish Julie & Julia, and it was a seriously entertaining read. I love Love LOVED it. Julie Powell writes in a voice very similar to my own. I loved it in an entirely different way than I loved the movie. They are two completely different pieces. You have to love them on their own, and you can't compare them.

Now, I'm listening to Spring Awakening (very good soundtrack when you're feeling rebellious and cranky about crappy masking tape and a bout with food poisoning), and I'm going to attack this classroom with a vengeance. Charge!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...