Monday, August 31, 2009

Goodbye, Old Friend


No more butterflies in the sky... Reading Rainbow is ending. Click here for a nice NPR article on the show's end.


I first started watching Reading Rainbow when I student taught for Mary Jo Salem-Lochner's 2nd grade class at Whittier Elementary in Sioux City, IA. She showed Reading Rainbow every week. I fell in love with the show. Like the NPR article says, it wasn't about HOW to read, it was about WHY to read. I continued Mary Jo's tradition, and I showed Reading Rainbow every week to my kindergarten classes at the Fort Worth Hebrew Day School in Fort Worth, TX. Even after I left the world of elementary school, I'd still pause whenever I surfed past the show on PBS. LeVar Burton was completely in his element. He was great on this show. I'll miss Reading Rainbow, and so will tons of other people, kids and adults alike. But you don't have to take my word for it. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...