Thursday, May 30, 2019

Field Trip to the Des Moines Art Center

Last week, I went to the Des Moines Art Center with my students.  I ask them to look for four things while they're there: famous artists they know, their favorite pieces, the best example of "art," and something that they don't understand why it even IS art.  I participated this year too.  



 This Rothko is always one of my favorites.  I can almost get lost in its colors.




 I loved how this one was lit.  It's shadow on the wall was part of the piece for me.





 My picture doesn't do this piece justice, but it was shiny and sparkly, and I just couldn't stop looking at it.  It captivated me.




One of my nominees for best example of "art."  I loved reading about it and its creator.  Art is expression, in my opinion.  And art can come to someone at any time in their life.






My other nominee for best example of "art."  I think art should make people think.  I think art can buck the system and give the proverbial finger to the establishment.





Chagall is one of my favorites, so this is my piece for most famous.  HOW HAVE I NEVER NOTICED IT BEFORE IN ALL THE TIMES I'VE BEEN TO THE DES MOINES ART CENTER????  I guess it just goes to show that every trip there is a new experience.  That's the way it should be.





I'm so NOT into this one.  Every time I see it, I try to give it a chance, and I think that someone got back from Mardis Gras and went a little crazy in their grandma's attic.  It's just not for me.  Not everybody has to like every piece.  For me, this one wins the "Why is This Art?" award.





Another favorite.  I'm a fan of interactive pieces, and this one is just begging to be touched and moved.  Sparkly beads hanging from the tall ceiling?  YES, PLEASE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...