Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Documentary Night

During the 4th quarter, my 7th & 8th grade GOAL kids work on movies. 7th graders do stop-animation, and 8th graders do documentaries. I've had a preview time in the past, where they can see each others' work, but this year, the kids had the idea to make it a big event and use it as a fundraiser. They (and their parents) planned the concessions, 2 students were emcees and wrote their own script, and they advertised it. I helped, but they really took on the idea of the fundraiser, and they rolled with it.

I was in charge of the nagging. Deadlines are not this group's gift. We were finishing movies up until 5:30 tonight, burning documentaries to disc and uploading animated movies to YouTube. And then at 7, it all happened. Mike (my principal) had things set up for us to use the big screen in the cafetorium, the concessions rolled in, the kids dressed up, the technology cooperated, the audience arrived. Everyone was so generous. We even had some businesses kick it up to boost the bounty. In short, we made all the money we needed with some to spare to help pay for the chaperones' trips too.

I was blown way. I figured we needed somewhere around $1150 to pay for everything, and I was hoping to make half that tonight. We made more than our total goal, and I think everyone was impressed by the movies the kids produced too. The whole event was over in an hour and 45 minutes, and the kids were so engaged. I was so proud of them. I'm so lucky to live in such a generous community that supports kids. I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight, knowing our trips are paid for and that I won't have to keep fundraising through the next month to reimburse for our trips. Thank you to everyone who made tonight a success. My heart is full!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...