Friday, January 31, 2020

2020 Vision

Hello, Blog.  Nice to see you again.  I'm having a bit of an existential crisis, so I need to write it out.

I might be seeing more of you here, because... I think I'm going to break up with Facebook.  I love Facebook because I have a lot of friends that I don't live close to.  Facebook lets me see their babies and know their news and keep up with their lives.  I hate Facebook because so much of my feed is filled with my Facebook friends reposting articles and memes that make my stomach hurt.  I love you, Cousin Fanny from Tallahassee, but your racist rants give me dry heaves.  I get a kick out of you in real life, high school classmate, but if you post one more fake news story from two years ago, I'm going to poke my eye out with a fork.  And, former teaching colleague from 15 years ago, trust me.  I'm just as much a liberal feminist as you, but your divisive comments on posts that have nothing to do with you make me want to punch you in the face.  These things are sucking all the joy out of Facebook for me.

Let me see pictures of your new puppy.  Tell the world about your vacation to Yellowstone.  Praise your kid's grade improvements.  Share a great meal you had at a new restaurant.  I use Facebook for connecting, not for driving people away.  Life is too short to focus on differences.  I can't handle your negativity, World.  I'm sharpening the saw and to quote Hamilton, "erasing myself from the narrative."  At least for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...